How To Help Your Kids After A Divorce

Processing the loss of a marriage is as challenging for adults as it is for children. Both kids and parents had imagined a future that is no longer going to come into fruition. To help you through this time in your life, consider talking to a mental health professional who can assist you with processing your emotions. The same goes for your children.  However, there are simple steps you can take to make the Read More

Understanding Best Interests

One of the most emotionally charged elements of the divorce process is determining child custody. You, your former spouse, and your attorneys will discuss legal custody and physical custody.  Legal custody pertains to decision-making, predominantly those regarding religion, medical treatment, and education. Physical custody determines where the child lives and how their time will be split between the parents.  There Read More

What Is Special Immigrant Juvenile Status?

Some children, sadly, experience neglect, abuse, and abandonment. Some of these minors are not citizens of the United States. The Special Immigrant Juvenile classification is meant for these people. The result is that children can become legal permanent residents. This is someone who holds a “green card.” Another powerful offshoot of this benefit is that the applicant can also apply for work authorization in the Read More

When Your Former Spouse Stops Paying Support

Financial insecurity is very real, especially after a divorce. If you are reading this, you are likely concerned with the following: Your ex has stopped paying child support You are worried about the possibility of your ex not paying child support Regardless of why you are concerned, knowing your options will help to get your child support back—or it will put you at ease. If it does happen, you have formulated a Read More

What Is A Legal Permanent Resident?

A legal permanent resident is not the same thing as being a citizen. But it is a step towards becoming one. When you hear people mention that they have or desire a “green card,” it means they are seeking to become a legal permanent resident. These are issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.  Why Be A Legal Permanent Resident When you obtain this status, you gain a significant amount of Read More

Things You Should Know About Child Custody In New Jersey

Divorce is a considerable stressor, and part of the reason for that is because it doesn’t solely impact just you and your spouse—your children are involved too. If you’ve ever worried about whether you were going to lose your kids in the process of a divorce, you’re not alone.  Perhaps one of the best remedies for the anxiety and worry you are feeling is to sit down, take a breath, and get familiar with the child Read More

What You Need To Know About Alimony

One of the reasons why a divorce can be such a stressful situation is because of the direct and indirect costs of it. You will be paying for legal counseling and the expenses associated with starting a new life. You will likely be doing both with less income than before.  If your spouse was the only one working, then how will you receive money now that the marriage has ended? This can be especially difficult if Read More

Understanding the Deportation Process

The prospect of being deported would frighten anyone. You envision ICE picking you up at home or work due to issues with your status and putting you on the next plane to your country of origin without getting a chance to say goodbye to loved ones here. Although the deportation process is not a pleasant prospect, it’s rarely as sudden or ruthless as the above perception. The reality is that even if ICE puts you in Read More

Ready to Become a U.S. Citizen? Take These 5 Steps

Many lawful permanent residents in the United States eventually decide to apply for citizenship. If this is your situation, congratulations! By becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen, you will receive the right to vote, apply for a U.S. passport, work for the government, and even petition for family members to join you in the United States. At Csépes Law, it has been our privilege to help many clients realize their Read More

How Does Immigration Define Good Moral Character?

When you apply for U.S. citizenship, there are several requirements that you need to meet, one of which is ‘good moral character.’ Of all the citizenship criteria, this one raises the most questions. In general, applicants have to demonstrate good moral character for five years prior to taking the Oath of Allegiance, but how is it defined, especially with regard to your immigration case? In this blog, we’ll review Read More