When Your Former Spouse Stops Paying Support

Financial insecurity is very real, especially after a divorce. If you are reading this, you are likely concerned with the following:

  1. Your ex has stopped paying child support
  2. You are worried about the possibility of your ex not paying child support

Regardless of why you are concerned, knowing your options will help to get your child support back—or it will put you at ease. If it does happen, you have formulated a course of action ahead of time

Using The Law

Is the child support court ordered? If so, the law is in your favor. States like New Jersey, for instance, are very firm when it comes to enforcing child support. 

But some people need help supporting their children during the early stages of a divorce. Child support payments have not been established yet. Talk to your attorney. Tell her your specific situation. Let her work to protect you and your children. 

Do I Need To Go Back To Court?

The goal is to support your children financially—not to punish your former spouse. This is a highly emotional situation. Allow your attorney to advise you on your options. Your attorney could likely file an application in court for the enforcement of child support. 

But why did your former spouse stop paying?

Your attorney could suggest quicker, more efficient options. If you could get your child support faster, would you? Of course. A lawyer can be your most prominent advocate, even outside of a courtroom

She could offer to contact your former spouse—or the attorney who represents him or her—to figure out why the payments stopped. You can’t solve an issue when you don’t know the problem. Did your former spouse lose a job? Did he or she move without notifying you? Did they just not want to pay? 

When your lawyer understands the source of the issue, she can resolve it. 

Abilities Of The Court

Though going to court might not be your first option, it could become your best option. The courts have several ways to compel your ex to pay child support:

  • Suspension of a driver’s license
  • Liens on assets
  • Denying the renewal of a passport

The court can also take money directly. This is done by seizing money from your former spouse’s bank accounts, seizing wages, or even taking money won through a settlement. 

Nothing guarantees that any of these options can make up for the child support owed to your children. The court can escalate matters by reporting your spouse to a collection agency, damaging his or her credit score, or even issuing a warrant for an arrest. 

Csépes Law Offices 

At Csépes Law Offices, we are passionate about helping people. If your former spouse has stopped paying child support, you may feel frightened about the future. You may think that you do not have options. We are here to tell you that you do. Contact us to schedule your consultation. Let our drive to help others benefit you.

The following two tabs change content below.

Csépes Law Offices

Csépes Law Offices Provides Individualized Legal Solutions To Those Needing Family Law, Immigration, Or Real Estate Counsel.

Latest posts by Csépes Law Offices (see all)