Non-Citizens Must Be Aware of Victim-Based Immigration

Everyone non-citizen should understand what victim-based immigration is and how they can obtain a U visa. If you haven’t heard of them, you aren’t alone. To give you a clearer picture, imagine an undocumented person living in this country. Unfortunately, this person becomes a victim of a violent crime. This undocumented person is in a difficult position because they likely don’t want to have any contact with the police. When local law enforcement discovers their status, they will then contact ICE. ICE may then ask the police to detain the undocumented person. 

Put yourself in this person’s shoes. They may have a family and children that depend on them. Furthermore, they don’t want to be separated from their families. For these reasons, they may choose not to contact the police and report the crime. That scenario has no justice, which is precisely why U visas exist. 

What is a U Visa?

The ultimate purpose of the U visa is to create a scenario that enables undocumented people to come forward after they have suffered from a specific crime, such as:

  • Domestic violence
  • Felonious assault 
  • Kidnapping  
  • Sexual assault

These are merely examples of the types of violent crimes the U visa pertains to, and it is by no means a complete list. If you have questions about whether your situation could lend itself to obtaining a U visa, contact an attorney for confirmation. The critical thing to remember is that you don’t have to remain quiet. Speak with an attorney about what happened to you. In addition to being a victim, you must also have information about the crime that could help law enforcement officers prosecute and convict your assailant. The victim is protected, and a violent criminal cannot harm or injure anyone else. 

What Does a U Visa Grant Me?

The benefits of the U visa are significant. If approved, you will receive temporary immigration status that allows you to work in the United States. Perhaps even more importantly, the victim’s qualifying family members will also gain temporary immigration status. Although the status is temporary, this could lead to the victim becoming a lawful permanent resident (green card holder). 

Although obtaining a U visa could take upwards of five years, you (and potentially your family) get to remain in the United States during this time. If your previous visa expires during this time, you will be “out of status,” but you will not have to leave if you have been approved and are in the process of getting a U Visa. 

Speak with an Immigration Attorney Today 

At Csépes Law Offices, we understand how serious these issues are, and we urge you to contact us if you are an undocumented person but have been subjected to a violent crime. We approach each case with care, gravity, and resolve. Get in touch with us today to set up your consultation

The following two tabs change content below.

Csépes Law Offices

Csépes Law Offices Provides Individualized Legal Solutions To Those Needing Family Law, Immigration, Or Real Estate Counsel.

Latest posts by Csépes Law Offices (see all)